enlightened orgs: inspiration
IS THE WORD -VALUES-AN OXYMORON IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY?
VANCITY IS PROOF POSITIVE -IT IS NOT
VanCity, based in Vancouver, British Columbia, is in its sixth decade of operation, offering a form of social and spiritual capitalism that proves doing business in alignment with high values and integrity can also be profitable.
This unique blend of more than-a-credit-union and more than-a-bank, is a breath of fresh air in the midst of the tornadeo of devastation wrecked by banking institutions whose operating philosophies are more of a testament to the capitalistic prophecies born out of the ancient Greek myth of Erisychthon.
NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE MYTH?…
THE ERISYCHTHON EFFECT
OVID tells a tale of a wealthy timber merchant, Erischython, who lusts after a majestic sacred oak tree in the forest. He sees in the revered tree, only the dollars he can make by the sale of its timber. When he fells the tree, he is cursed by the gods of the tree with an insatiable hunger causing him to consume and destroy everything around him, including his wife, children …and ultimately, himself.
IN A FINANCIAL WORLD OF ‘ERISCHTHONS’ – VANCITY IS THE EXCEPTION
VanCity’s values are clearly stated on the Who Are We page of their website:
What we believe
We believe in the essential goodness of people.
We believe that dreamers are as unique as their dreams.
We believe that to rise higher, you must dig deeper.
We believe that balance in all things is the true measure of prosperity.
Wherever you are,
Whatever it is,
We believe you can.
Things grow here
2004 VOTED BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR IN CANADA
VanCity embraces customers who have been marginalized by traditional banks and make profits doing it. Here is just a short list of some of their accomplishments as “Firsts” in the nation. First financial institution to…
• Provide loans to women without the need for a male co-signer
• Include the lesbian and gay community through mainstream media advertisements
• Offer daily interest savings accounts and open mortgages
•Offer interactive home banking, wireless terminals, centralized banking by phone, an international ATM network and the first 24/7 branchless bank (Citizens Bank)
• Provide a socially responsible mutual fund – An EnviroFund VISA and low-interest loans for hybrid cars
• A three-year commitment to reduce vehicle trips to UBC (University of British Columbia)and SFU(Simon Fraser University) by sponsoring the student U-Pass program for transit access on buses, SkyTrain and SeaBus
• The highest employee participation rate (our fifth year in a row) in the Commuter Challenge, an annual transportation event to raise awareness of reducing car emissions
• Clean air loans and financing for energy-efficient home renovations
• Achievements in energy efficiency certified by BC Hydro’s Power Smart program
• A focus on building “extreme green” branches that maximize energy efficiency and minimize their environmental footprint
“we are reaching
As the trunk of the tree
stands firm, individual
branches and leaves
stretch beyond their
immediate place, upwards,
outwards, into territory
infinite and unknown.”
I think this VanCity tree has rewritten the Erischython myth!
In 2004, employees actually wrote the VanCity Story…read more…
1. To be Beyond a Bank, Beyond a Credit Union
2.To Value the Exceptions
3.To Be There at the Intersections
4. To Be Both a Neighbour and a Damn Good Banker
5. To Lead a Language Revolution
6.To Always Believe You Can
At VanCity they coined the phrase …Yes, You Can! We are thrilled to include this company in our directory of Enlightened Orgs!
If you know a company that is making a Mindshift towards serving humanity while still turning a profit, we would like to know about them. Let us know by contacting::
email@example.com... or leave the information in the comments section of this post.
Organizational Behaviour Consultant
author: Imagine Your Soul Abundant: Attracting Success, Fulfillment and True Happiness
more about: www.theconsciouscorporation.com www.soulabundant.com
Judy’s book can be ordered from her website www.soulabundant.com. Special prices for bulk orders upon request. Seminars and retreats customized to the needs of your group or organization.